Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Needle Felting




Needle Felting is truly the simplest project I've ever done with such lovely results. All you need is a foundation, probably felt works the best. I used felt. You can use wool or any yarn type. I mixed them. I used a wool roving and a synthetic around the edges. You pretty much just draw with the yarn and then attack it with a needle tool. You'll see the color start to fill in on the back side, which is the fibers embedding within the wool.

For this I knit and felted two bags. One I did heart flowers. The other I did a contemporary sunflower. I just love the sunflower one. I can't get over how easy it was. The tool is a little on the spendy side, in my opinion, but worth the initial investment. I've done a lot of needle felting and I see a lot more doable with the tool before ever having to change needles. I originally considered experimenting with just one needle but couldn't find a single one so got the multi-needle tool and recommend that as it takes some time even with multiple needles. It's a tv watching project. Sit down and go to town during commercials sort of project. It's relaxing and stress relieving at the same time and I like the ability to mix materials. It doesn't take very much yarn either. I used some super, super soft baby yarn I had left over from a baby sweater for the triangles around the sunflower center and it remained incredibly soft and since it was a fibery yarn it bonded well and quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment