Monday, November 29, 2010

Cashmere Upcycled Mittens



I finally posted some more cozy winter mittens. I made some purple wool and cream mittens from an embroidered wool cardigan, purple wool sweater, and a cream wool sweater. I usually got a full pair out of each sweater with a few extra pieces so two sweaters could make three pairs of mittens, etc. It all depends on the size of the sweater, of course. And style. A wool sweater with an odd cut to it will barely yield a full pair of mittens. The cashmere are incredibly soft. I like working with it because it's so soft. It even looks soft in the pictures. It's not always easy to find cashmere sweaters at the discount stores but they do felt as nicely as the wool and make awesome mittens. I was going to wait to post what I had because I have more waiting to be sewn but time is moving along so I thought I should get what I have posted.

I've been working out designing a wallet style that incorporates pockets for credit cards but isn't large and bulky. The first experiment last turned out all right but it's a good thing I chose to only put a zipper in the one pocket because even though I left space it wasn't quite enough to allow the wallet to fold neatly. But I think I have it workable, just requiring some tweaking. So I have to finish sewing the cut outs for mittens I have waiting and then a few wallets this week and I will post right away this time. A purple wallet is my final goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment