Friday, August 29, 2014

Making Fabric Napkins


Fabric napkins are so wonderful to have on hand to use. I am always amazed at how many people say that fabric napkins are too fancy, a paper napkin or paper towel will suffice. Not fancy. Fabric napkins are economical, practical, and environmental. Grab a fabric napkin out of the drawer and when it has been used just toss it in the wash with towels or shirts or underwear. No big deal.

To make fabric napkins is a snap. The hardest part about making them is picking out the material. For every day casual use, just grab some canvas or twilled cotton. Just feel it at the fabric store. It should be absorbent and easy to clean. Avoid fabrics that are dry clean only. Other than that, the sky is the limit when it comes to picking fabric. You could even upcycle old towels or fleece items. That sort of heavy fabric could be difficult to hem but you could just use pinking sheers to cut fleece into 18" squares for super simple napkins. I prefer the cotton or a linen for absorbency.

I have used fabric napkins for years and years. My favorite ones are 18” squares. Fabric napkins can be made exactly like the earlier post for flannel baby washcloths. The only difference is the size and fabric choice. I suppose you could use flannel for your napkins also but I think a nice cotton or canvas will work better. But if you want to be fun, pick a colorful flannel print and use that.

Cut 18 ½” squares of your fabric choice. Serge edges. Fold over corner and fold sides down to get mitered corner and sew. You can also just straight stitch the four sides half an inch in and fray edges for a fringed effect. I have a set of fringed napkins and I don’t care for the fringed ones for daily use. I mean, they’re fine, but I notice I only reach for those when all the rest are gone from the drawer.

Have fun. Be brave. There aren’t really rules, just suggestions and guidelines to create a product in the process of having fun. See Baby Flannel Washcloths post earlier this month for more detailed instructions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment