Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Antique Button Hook for Lucet Tool



I found this lovely old button hook at a local antique shop. I had noticed when investigating older versions of lucets or more rustic modern versions, such as antler or carved bone, that there was almost always a matching pick in the photos.

I was looking for old wooden drop spindles at the antique shop when I spotted an unassuming cardboard box about 6"x 5" sitting up on a railing. Inside were several of these button hooks. I immediately thought of the lucet tool. Since they were only a few dollars each I looked through them and picked out the best one for what I wanted. The deciding factor for me was the larger hook size.



I made several cords using the button hook. Amazing! For some reason using the button hook resulted in more uniform loops and the cords were amazingly consistent. The speed in making the cords also increased. The hook found the space between the yarn and wood easier than my fingers did so I zipped along. Best of all, pulling on wool yarn on the same spot on the side of my finger had created a red welt after making cords long enough to use as a purse strap. With the button hook I did not have that problem.

I highly recommend using a button hook when making cords on the lucet tool. I'd heard that a crochet hook could be used but I tried that in the beginning and found it awkward. I'm a crocheter so I feel comfortable using a crochet hook. For some reason it did not work well for me with the lucet tool.



This worked so well that the next day I went back to the antique store and bought a second button hook to put away for a spare. Just in case.

No comments:

Post a Comment