Friday, December 11, 2015

Making Designing Samples and Swatches


Using samples and swatches actually saves a lot of time and offers you the freedom to experiment without commitment.

I decided to do a sample, a mini version of a project I had in mind. I wanted to see which way to approach designing a poncho. The cat was kind enough to model the swatch for me.


Working up the mini version only took an hour or so and yet gave me all the information I needed before starting the full-sized project. Have I mentioned that I like to do swatches and samples? It is really helpful.

I had in mind the poncho shape that I wanted to create but I could not decide whether to make a square or start at the corner and work diagonally. I knew which stitch pattern I wanted to use and thought that stitch would look good sideways also. I decided a sample poncho was the way to go rather than putting the stress on the project yarn of knitting it up and having to tear it out again.

Doing the sample poncho really helped. By making the quick, mini version I could see the impact of the bias resulting from which direction I knit the item. I am so pleased with the end result. I just love this poncho. The thick yarn has a rustic feel to it and the luxurious faux fur yarn trimming the collar is so soft and elegant.

It’s a Christmas gift that when I finished it I wanted to keep for myself. I guess I will have to make one for me now. But after Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment