Monday, May 22, 2017

Scrappy Crocheted Afghan Using Leftover Yarn

I love this afghan. It is dense and warm and a bright spot on a cold, gloomy day.


It is crocheted but I think a similar version could be done with knit.

It is a very simple pattern. Crochet a foundation chain of desired length. I think I used a G hook to match the yarn's weight. I don't remember how many stitches I started with. I went with the "this is slightly wider than the depth of the couch" method. It's just a casual throw to use up scrap yarn, after all. I did make a point to use an even number of stitches so that the alternating sc and dc was constant but it isn't necessary.

That's all there is to this afghan, foundation row, alternate sc and dc back, switch colors, sc into dc and dc into sc then repeat back. Pick up base color and work two rows, pick up scrap color and work two rows. I cut scrap colors but leave base color traveling up side.

Amount of yarn will vary. I used up 3 skeins of the beige and lots of miscellaneous partial skeins of other colors.

I intend to do the crab stitch around the entire afghan, which I expect to take minimal at least another full skein.


If I was to knit this, I would knit a base row then slip 1, knit across in the base, switch to scrap color and repeat slip 1, knit previous slip 1, repeating alternating slipping 1 and knitting 1 for the whole afghan to get the jagged effect.


No comments:

Post a Comment