Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Don't Be Afraid to Play with Any Crafting Process

When It Comes to Crafting, Experience Comes with Playing

I like to make things. I’ll bet you do also. That’s why you’re visiting my blog, right? Looking for some suggestions or patterns or inspiration to make something? Although we want our projects to “wow” our friends, relatives, or people passing on the sidewalk, it’s mostly about the process more than the finished project.

I mean, if all we cared about was the end result we could just go to some brick and mortar shop stuffed to the brim with unique, awesome products or some eye-catching online boutique, right? It’s about making it ourselves, having the control to create a version of something we saw somewhere but in the colors we want, the textiles we prefer, etc. Right? At least that drives me quite often.

I started on my journey of cross body purse making when I couldn’t find that exact right purse that I wanted. From cross body I went to hobos and totes and luggage then to full on any purse silhouette that I wanted to make. I inserted key tethers, the size pockets I wanted, external pockets, zippered pockets, hidden pockets, and the list goes on. With enough practice creating a bag with fine details and a professional look becomes second nature.

That’s the key, practice. I’m not afraid to cut up an old pair of jeans, an old flannel shirt, or fabric off the clearance rack to make mock up versions to practice. The key is to not be afraid of messing up. No matter how many times you’ve made something, mess ups happen. The thing is, learn from it and move on.

I’ve taught a lot of people how to knit. It’s amazing how many people want to learn and are just afraid to do it. Once I was at work and taught someone how to knit using two pencils. She made a whole scarf on those two pencils! That still makes me chuckle. I always tell new knitters to go get some cheap, smooth yarn at the local department store. It’s a $3 investment and those cheap skeins go a long way. A cheap set of straight knitting needles is just as cheap and a set of circular is a cheap investment. (We all advance to leaving the straight needles behind at some point.) Play and undo and play some more. A night at the movies cost more in popcorn and soda than a skein of cheap yarn and basic knitting needles.

The point that I’m trying to make is to play. Don’t be afraid to try something new. It’s about the process and with enough experience you will eventually create something that will wow your friends, family, or that person walking past on the sidewalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment